Module Status Elective
Facilitator Niamh Rooney
Duration 25 hours
This module aims to enable participants to gain critical knowledge, analyse current development trends and develop practical skills in planning for development which can be applied to strengthen their current experience and expertise.
- To explore and critically analyse different development theories and approaches to project/programme planning and management, with a particular focus on participatory and results based approaches.
- To develop participants’ knowledge of, and ability to critically reflect on, the different stages of the project/programme cycle and associated activities, in particular problem analysis, defining results, project design, and monitoring and evaluation.
- To enhance participants skills in preparing and defending project/programme funding proposals.
- To encourage participants to critically reflect on issues around project/programme planning and management in the context of North South aid and development partnership and practice, particularly in the context of participants’ own prior experiences.
Module Learning Outcomes
At the end of the course the participants are expected to:
- Have developed a critical awareness of different theories and approaches to development project/programme planning and management.
- Have developed a broad understanding of planning and management management processes, and in particular; have developed competence in participatory and results based processes.
- Have developed and/or enhanced their skills and ability in formulating and objectively appraising a comprehensive results based framework and related project/programme funding proposals which meet current donor funding criteria.
- Have developed the confidence and skills to critically reflect on issues and challenges around project/programme planning and management in the context of North South aid and partnerships praxis.
Project/programme planning and management
- Theories and approaches to development project/programme planning and management
- A critical analysis of Managing for Development Results and Results Based Management
- Process versus blueprint planning models – a critique
- The participatory-blueprint continuum
- Assessing approaches, complementary or alternative?
Results Based Management
- The project/programme cycle – an exploration of the process
- Participatory models for project identification and design
- Participatory problem analysis
- Stakeholder analysis
- Participatory objective analysis
- Defining SMART objectives
- Developing a results based framework
- Participatory models for monitoring and evaluation
- An analysis of monitoring and evaluation
- Establishing indicators
- Gender aware indicators
- Impact assessment theory
Project/programme funding proposal
- Critical analysis of donor requirements in relation to development trends
- Donor expectations – bureaucratic burden or necessity for success?
- Essential components of a strong proposal
- Presentation, readability, credibility
- A review of commonly applied appraisal criteria
Details of assessment and up to date reading lists for this module will be made available to learners following enrolment.
Please note that this description is subject to change.