Module Status Elective
Facilitator Eimear Burke
Duration 25 hours
This module aims to develop participants’ awareness and critical analysis of psycho-social factors which impact on their own development and that of their own society.
- To explore human development from both a modern and an indigenous perspective.
- To critically reflect on theories and concepts of human development and how they relate to students’ work as development practitioners.
- To reflect on the relevance of interpersonal relationships and communication skills and how these impact on the empowerment of individuals.
- To develop students’ own self-awareness and to develop skills to enhance their own empowerment and interpersonal skills.
Module Learning Outcomes
- Participants will have an understanding of how people develop from an indigenous and a modern perspective and will be able to draw comparisons and critically reflect on the relevance and applicability of these perspectives to their work contexts.
- Participants are expected to develop skills in relation to healthy interpersonal relationships & clear communication & to begin to apply these skills to their work situations.
- Participants will have developed a greater self-awareness and to reflect on their own personal development.
- Participants will have developed skills to empower themselves both in personal and development practitioner contexts.
- What is human development?
- Modern perspective
- Indigenous perspective
- Factors influencing personal development
- Appreciative Enquiry
Relationship Building Skills
- Listening attitudes
- Listening skills
- Helping skills
- What is assertiveness?
- Effective behaviour
- Ineffective behaviours
- Human Rights
- Setting clear boundaries
- Self empowerment
- Interpersonal conflict management
- Constructive criticism
- Self reflection
- Centring exercises
- Breathing exercises
Details of assessment and up to date reading lists for this module will be made available to learners following enrolment.
Please note that this description is subject to change.