Start Date6 March
LocationThis course can be taken anywhere in the world.
Note: This course is a module on our Flexible and Distance MA in Development Studies. Only learners who are already on the programme may take part in this module. Click here for further information.
The purpose of this module is to enable participants to gain knowledge and develop practical skills in project cycle management which can be applied to strengthen and build on their current experience and expertise
- To introduce participants to different ideas and approaches around project planning and management, with a particular focus on participatory and results based approaches.
- To develop participants’ familiarity with the different stages of the project cycle and associated activities, in particular problem analysis, project design, and monitoring and evaluation.
- To further develop participants skills in preparing and defending project funding proposals.
- To encourage participants to reflect on issues around project planning and management in the context of North South aid and development partnership and practice.
Module Learning Outcomes
- At the end of the course the participants are expected to:
- Be knowledgeable of different approaches to project planning.
- Understand project cycle management processes.
- Know how to construct a log frame matrix.
- Have developed more confidence and skills in writing project funding proposals.
Project planning and management
- Participatory appoaches
- Results based planning
- Process versus blueprint planning
- The participatory-blueprint continuum
- Assessing approaches, complementary or alternative?
Project cycle management
- Introduction to the project cycle
- Project identification and design
- Problem analysis
- Stakeholder analysis
- Objective analysis
- SMART objectives
- Developing a log frame matrix
- Monitoring and evaluation
- What is monitoring and evaluation?
- Establishing indicators
- Gender aware indicators
- Impact assessment
Project funding proposal
- Donor targetting and expectations
- What to include
- Presentation, readability, credibility
Details of assessment and up to date reading lists for this module will be made available to learners following enrollment.
Please note that this description is subject to change.
For further information on our Flexible & Distance Learning MA in Development Studies click here.