Start Date18 January
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
LocationKimmage Development Studies Centre
Course Aim: To support the integration and orientation process of incoming pastoral workers and to prepare them for ministry in parishes and congregational settings.
On completion of the course participants will have received an holistic introduction into life in Ireland which will help them adjust to their new home, feel confident in fulfilling their pastoral role and ensure that their ministry meets the needs of those they serve. Students will:
- Gain insights and understanding of approaches to ministry in Ireland
- Explore issues related to liturgy and spirituality in the context of pastoral ministry in Ireland
- Be introduced to innovative and appropriate outreach approaches to facilitate authentic engagement with congregations and communities
- Explore various themes of inter and cross cultural communication (change, conflict, authority, leadership, listening, collaboration and personal wellbeing)
- Have received a broad overview of the socio-economic, political, cultural landscape and history of Ireland
- Be awarded a certificate of training from the National Board of Safeguarding of Children in the Catholic Church in Ireland and be fully compliant with the protocol for safeguarding training for people in ministry in Ireland
Themes covered on the course
|Acculturation, communication and collaboration||
|Ministry in Ireland||
|Ministry in Action||
|Historical, economic & social introduction to Ireland||
|Scheduling||This course takes place in 4 blocks of 3 consecutive days over a 10 week period. The next course dates are in early 2017:
|Class Size||Kimmage DSC works with groups of 12-15 participants per facilitator. This is considered best practice and most conducive to learning, the maximum number of participants will not exceed 15.|
|Teaching Style||The approach to teaching is student centred and participative in style. Students are encouraged to critically reflect on and engage with the course content through group, plenary and individual exercises and methods.|
|Further supports||It is encouraged that all participants are paired with a mentor from their sponsor or host community to support their learning throughout the course and beyond. Kimmage DSC provides clear signposting to additional resources relevant to each area of content as required throughout the course (for example; support agencies for mental health issues, social welfare issues, housing, health and employment supports).|
|Course Fees||The course fee is €1,500 per participant. This covers full tuition, light lunch and refreshments, library access and course materials. Participants are responsible for their accommodation arrangements.
All participants must be approved by their sponsor or host congregation in Ireland.
- The next course is provisionally scheduled to begin in Autumn 2017, subject to sufficient demand.
- This course does not cover any aspect of evangelical ministry.
- A working knowledge of both written and spoken English is required in order to benefit from and participate fully in the course.
Course Location: Kimmage DSC, Kimmage Manor, Whitehall Road, Dublin 12
Tel: +353 (0)1 406 4307
Orientation Course for Incoming Pastoral Ministry Workers