Start Date14 February
6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
LocationKimmage Development Studies Centre
This course will be offered over 10 Tuesday evenings (6.00 – 8.30pm) starting on Tuesday 14 February 2017 and running to April.
This course will develop participants’ understanding of a human rights based approach to international development with a critical exploration of advocacy as a tool for realising human rights.
- To critically understand debates related to human rights, globalisation and development in general
- To explore the application of human rights based approaches to development and programming issues
- To examine the role of advocacy in realising human rights and acquire skills on how to advocate for community-based issues using various tools
Conceptualising Human Rights and Human Rights-based Approaches to Development
Introduction to Human Rights
- Historical and philosophical antecedents of Human Rights
- Introduction to Human Rights Instruments and Principles
- Critiques of and debates about Human Rights as a normative framework for development
Exploring the relationship between Development and Human Rights
- Development – critical issues regarding human needs and human rights
- Globalisation, human rights and development
- Is development a human right?
- Development, poverty and human rights
Human Rights Based Approaches to Development
- Introduction to HRBA
- Benefits and Challenges of a HRBA to Development (Critical Analysis of Theory and Practice)
The Actors and players in Human Rights
- A critical exploration of the role of Rights Holders and Duty Bearers
- Power relations and human rights
- Does a HRBA help communities to address the structural causes of poverty?
Programming for human rights based approaches to development
Building the agency of rights holders for respect for human rights
- Building Awareness
- Consciousness Raising with Rights Holders
- Steps in Empowering Rights Holders
- Organising and Mobilising Rights Holders
Taking action through Advocacy
- Introduction to advocacy
- Basic understanding of advocacy and related concepts
- What is Advocacy?
- A critical exploration of advocacy as a tool for realising human rights
- Advocacy Processes (Advocacy Planning Cycle, Issue Analysis, and Identifying potential issue for advocacy, Key Players; Setting Objectives and Message development, Choosing Approaches to advocacy work)
- Basic Tools for Advocacy (Lobbying, Use of Social Media, Projects and Site visits and Letter Writing)
- Advocacy Strategy Development (Drawing up an Advocacy Plan, Goal; Objectives; Activities; Resources)